Saturday, April 20, 2013

The noise of boys





I am writing this blog entry while sitting in my room with the doors shut while the boys play with their daddy. 

I'm taking a much needed "mommy time out".

The noise of little boys is most of the time a sound I enjoy. 

But today it's been overwhelming. 

Teaching our children the difference in outside voices and inside voices seems to be ignored. 

The saying "Boys will be boys" has definitely pushed a limit with me more than once and today it seems as though this one comment has me flustered even more. 

Sure, boys will be boys. 
But at some point boys will be men and those men need to know the difference between inside and outside voices. 

They need to learn respect. 

Respect your parents when they tell you to please be quiet.

And it's my job to teach them. 

But on days like today, when I feel like everything I say is going in one ear and out the other, teaching a lesson of respect makes me want to crawl in a cave and stay a while.

I often tell people a rule of thumb I use in my home.. 
As long as it's happy noises, I try my best not to shush them. 

But here I sit hiding out while they hopefully burn off some energy writing a blog about how I want to tell them to just shut up and leave me alone. 

Sure that sounds harsh... but really? Who hasn't at least thought that once since having children? 

I am a stay at home mom.. and I'm with my children almost 100% of the time. I don't think I have gone 1 day without my children in at least 4 years. 
Heck, my idea of a vacation is a trip to the store alone. 
(which doesn't happen that often) 

Kids are stressful. 

It takes 45 minutes to tell me one sentence and when they finally get it out of their mouth they have said  it loud enough for the neighbors to hear. 
They fight with each other constantly, yet cry when they are separated because they are soooooo bored playing alone. 

It's a constant insanity brain workout over here. 

Now don't get me wrong. I love having boys. I love having a lot of boys. I enjoy the wild times 90% of the time. I enjoy pretty much every aspect of my life as their mom. 

But I don't want parenthood on my blog to be portrayed as easy. 
It's not easy. 

It's work.
And there are times I want to shout profanity. 
Sometimes at my own kids.

But I don't. 

Instead I take a mommy time out and blog. 

I'm terribly sorry if you thought this blog entry would end with a point..
it's not going too. 

I just needed to write so that I didn't go ape shit on my kids today. 







No comments:

Post a Comment