Friday, March 23, 2012

Moments of Reflection

I think it's important for us all to take time after each day for our own moments of reflection. 

Were the words I spoke pleasing to God? 
Did I strive to make my children feel loved and appreciated? 
Did my actions back up my walk?

I've just started my "Moments of Reflection" yesterday. 

Turns out... I have a lot of work to do in my own life. 
My words haven't been soft or kind and my actions have been hurtful and raw.
Sometimes telling someone exactly how you feel only gives instant gratification... 

Lets be honest... when you tell someone how you feel (even in a harsh way) you normally don't do it just for instant gratification, even though that is what you normally receive. It feels good to get things off your chest... especially when you have been bottling them up for so long. 
However, when the instant gratification wears off you are left with nothing more than a feeling of exhaustion. What did it accomplish? Typically, nothing. Hurt feelings and a relationship that may not be able to be repaired. 

I've had several relationships/friendships that were able to withstand an argument that left both parties hurt and confused. However, some took time to rebuild, and others were left shattered in pieces. 
The friendships that were able to move past the bumps along the road are the friendships that I strive to keep and appreciate. I know that when times get tough and hormones get high I can always count on those people to be there. 

So my moment of reflection yesterday left me with this....

1. Journals that aren't online are probably the best place to vent. 
2. Burnt bridges are only as burnt as both parties allow them to be. 
3. Some friends really are there for you through it all. Invest time in those people.
4. If you can't accept me at my worst, you don't deserve my best. 

And probably the most important one to me.... 

5. One of the main benefits of forgiveness is that it allows you to return to the kind person you really are. So forgive those weather they ask for it or not. 



No comments:

Post a Comment