Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Temper, Temper

Do I ever have one. I have been dealing with my temper and the way I handle things for years. I have always been fast to speak and slow to listen. I can dish out criticism really easily, but when its given to me, I don't always take it well. Today my temper was tested. My immediate thought was "I hate when I have to talk to stupid people!" After our conversation was over, I felt convicted by God to really sit down and re-think the situation. Perhaps this lady was so overwhelmed at work that she honestly just forgot to call me back (for the past month) or she's dealing with things beyond my imagination at home and doing the best she cannot to bring those worries to work with her. I then went back and forth with God about my reasoning behind my behavior and feelings towards this lady. Yes, I actually argued out loud with him!! 
"If she can't do her job, she should quit. Or if she can't keep up with the work load, she should talk to her boss about it. Regardless of HOW it's handled, I should not be paying the price. And right now, I AM!!"
Our gracious God reminded me of this... In James 1:20, God says ..."for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God".  I take this as anger turns to sin when it is selfishly motivated. Instead of using my energy generated by anger to attack the problem at hand, it was this women being attacked. I have to admit, I was a bit frustrated at God for showing my fault in all this. I mean, it IS a form of criticism. And I don't like to be given criticism! I have a fault that can be hurtful to others if I don't control it. So, with that being said. My goal is to speak slower and attack the problem instead of the person. My "count to 10 moment" needs to be used to reflect upon the Godly way to handle the situation opposed to letting my fallen nature or first reaction hurt others. 

As I'm writing this... I hear Brennon (age 3) singing VERY LOUDLY in the other room "He's still working on me...." Yep... I guess He's still working on me too. 

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with this as well. As does my husband...in fact I have a few verses taped up in our bathroom about anger...one being the one you stated in James!! I find myself yelling at my kids when really they don't deserve it. And my hubby is trying to learn to "give us (his family) his best" instead of his worst. Great post!!
    Super cute blog BTW!!

    ReplyDelete