Thursday, October 6, 2011

Hyperemesis Gravidarum

I'm not going crazy, I dont just have a weak stomach, I have hyperemesis gravidarum. I received the diagnosis last night after my 2nd trip to the ER for fluids in less than a week. I have to admit I wasn't too surprised as I was sent a link about it a day or two prior from a close friend. I had prayed that I didn't have this because it's pretty severe and it's not something I could "fit" into my life at the moment. I was just hoping I had a simple case of mild morning sickness. Throwing up 15-30 times a day is normal for some women, right? 

Back to the story. 

Even though I knew I had all the symptoms of HG I still couldn't prepare myself for hearing the doctor telling me I had it. Hearing the "treatment" for this disease was too much for this lady. I broke down. I came in for IV Fluids to help me get through my Thursday and now I was lying in the hospital bed refusing an overnight hospital stay and being told I would need to have a "central line" put in to keep me hydrated. I think I missed all that information on the links I was sent earlier that week. I have an appointment with my doctor this afternoon to talk about where we go from here. Hopefully they will reassure me that there is a chance HG *could* get better as I get further along. 

I will keep you updated on this journey, but I'll first ask for prayers. Not only for me, but for my family and those dealing with this same issue. This isn't just something us pregnant women deal with... this effects the entire family. So remember us all as you say your prayers. 

Until next time my friends.....

4 comments:

  1. Hello Amber~ I am writing you as an HG Survivor to let you know that you are not alone. I have setup a HG Support Group that is very active and would like to invite you to join us to help you through this pregnancy. http://www.facebook.com/groups/287431031269769/ Yesterday, while you were posting this blog I was filming a segment on "The Doctors" about HG. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about other treatments options besides a Central Line because a central line is so hard to manage with HG because you are vomiting so much. The procedure I had during my 11th pregnancy was a PEG Tube and it was Amazing. The HER foundation, USC, UCLA and the Ayden Rae Foundation are working together to help Mom's get more proactive treatment and procedures that will help save Mother and Baby. I have personally had almost every treatment for HG and The PEG tube was amazing. This blog is such a Great Idea and know that you are not ALONE! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Ayden!! I'll check out the link you provided. I am about to post an update to my doctor appointment on my blog. I am amazed at how little women know about HG. I had never heard about it until a friend who knew what I was dealing with googled my symptoms and it came up. This is a hard "pill" to swallow! I am a mother of 3 boys all very young in age, and it's life altering. I haven't been parenting like I normally would. My kids are getting away with murder just because I don't have the energy to discipline them. And the lack of treatment you receive from the doctor amazes me also! I'll be glad to get some information on your site! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I knew once your symptoms progressed that it was HG. I didn't even have to Google it because I had two friends who experienced it and knew it was vicious because of their experiences. I hope the AR Foundation can help you! I wish there was more I could do to help you. Praying you find a great doc and some relief!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girl! You help me by being so understanding and supportive! Not to mention, not many people will talk to me after I throw up 10 times while having one conversation with them! lol

    ReplyDelete